Coach House Studios, Crown Yard, Market Place DE4 4ET
Thursday 7.30 pm – 9.00 pm Classes are suitable for both beginners and experienced meditators. Everyone is welcome. During the classes the teacher will explain how to meditate on various virtuous objects that will make the mind calm and peaceful; and how to use the insights gained to overcome our daily problems. The class runs for an hour and a half. Classes include 2 guided meditations, short talk and discussion. The classes are self-contained so you can drop in any week. There is also no need to book. Please note the centre is a registered charity and class fees cover only the running costs. Neither the teacher nor assistant receive any payment. £6 per class (full-time students by donation). Or pay for each term in advance using credit card/Paypal account and save £1 on each class (i.e. £5 per class).
- The Power to be Happy 3 Sept - 20 Sept; 8 Oct - 25 Oct
- Rethinking Human Problems 6 weeks, 5 Nov - 13 Dec
Rather than relying upon others to make you happy now is the time to believe in and utilise the power to make yourself happy. Buddhist meditation enables us to access this potential and discover a source of deep peace and joy inside us all. In this series of drop-in classes we will explain 5 different ways to make this potential come to life so that your whole life will become very meaningful.
1. Free Public Talk. The Power to be Happy. The power to be happy all the time comes from peace within and a controlled mind. Everyone wants to be happy but not many know how to do this.
2. The Joys of Giving. Giving is a mind that is free from attachment and delights in giving to others. Such a quality will bring supreme joy to our lives, build enduring relationships and create great good fortune for the future.
3. The Joys of a Controlled Mind. A controlled mind depends upon a determination to abandon faults and strong mindfulness. Learn about the benefits of a controlled mind and how to achieve this.
4. The Joys of Patience. If we develop the ability to joyfully accept adversities we cannot avoid we will be able to be happy all the time and have the capacity to stop our anger and benefit others.
5. Joyful Energy. By relying on irreversible virtuous energy we will make our life very meaningful, benefit others and accumulate a vast collection of positive energy in our mind that will support the growth of inner peace.
6. The Joy of Focused Meditation. Meditation is the ability to concentrate single-pointedly on a virtuous object of mind and functions to make the mind progressively more and more peaceful. Learn how to train the mind to remain focused and peaceful.
All our problems arise from disturbed and deluded minds such as anger and attachment. Even outer problems like environmental dangers have their origins in unpeaceful minds. In Buddha's teachings you will find a systematic understanding of the nature and function of all these inner problems together with the methods for recognising, reducing and abandoning them.
1. Free Public Talk. Rethinking Our Problems. Learn the 3 stages we need to practise if we are to permanently solve all our human problems.
2. The Dangers of Anger. Using anger as an example learn how to identify the deluded mind of anger and understand how it harms you.
3. The Signs of Anger. Every problem starts with inappropriate attention and exaggeration. If we can see this process underway then we have a good chance of preventing the mind from actually developing.
4. Applying the Opponents. All problems have certain opponents that will temporarily give us immunity from them. One of the best opponents to anger is the virtuous mind of patient acceptance.
5. Purifying our Deluded Potentials. Buddha taught powerful methods for purifying the potentials for unpeaceful minds. A special meditation called 'Taking' motivated by compassion is the supreme method for curing ourself of our inner problems and purifying the potential in the mind for the problem to arise again.
6. Applying the Antidote. All problems have the same root in the mind called 'self-grasping'. Buddha taught the meditation on emptiness to purify delusions permanently so that we experience a complete and permanent cessation of all our problems.
Classes are free to Class Card Holders. See Membership Fees
Caring for Our Spiritual Needs
5 Sept The Power To Be Happy
12 Sept The Joys Of Giving
19 Sept The Joys Of A Controlled Mind
10 Oct The Joys Of Patience
17 Oct Joyful Energy
24 Oct The Joy Of Focussed Meditation
The Power To Be Happy
Rethinking Human Problems
7 Nov Rethinking Our Problems
14 Nov The Dangers Of Anger
21 Nov The Signs Of Anger
28 Nov Applying The Opponents
5 Dec Purifying Our Deluded Potentials
12 Dec Applying The Antidote