Heart Jewel Centre, Holme Road, Matlock Bath DE4 3NU
Fridays 10.30 – 12.00 pm
Classes are suitable for both beginners and experienced meditators. Everyone is welcome. During the classes the teacher will explain how to meditate on various virtuous objects that will make the mind calm and peaceful; and how to use the insights gained to overcome our daily problems.
The class runs for an hour and a half. The teacher for this class is Gen Kelsang Chodor, the resident teacher at Heart Jewel Centre. Classes include 2 guided meditations, short talk and discussion.
The classes are self-contained so you can drop in any week. There is also no need to book.
Please note the centre is a registered charity and class fees cover only the running costs. Neither the teacher nor assistant receive any payment.
£6 per class (full-time students free of charge).
Audio about Create Your Own Inner Peace - Classes Starting Soon
Details of next classes
Create Your Own Inner Peace 29 January - 23 March (not inc w/k 19-23 Feb)
1. Why Meditation? Meditation and mindfulness are important for our mental peace and well- being. People are looking for simple solutions to the problems of modern daily life such as anxiety, stress and dissatisfaction. All of these problems are rooted in our mind and our mental reactions to the things that happen to us. Gain a deeper understanding of the causes of mental health and your potential for inner peace and real happiness.
2. What is Meditation? Meditation is simple and can be practised by everyone in normal daily life. Everyone will benefit from as little as 10 minutes meditation each day. Learn the basics of daily meditation and mindfulness practice so that you can get started straight away.
3. The preparations. As with any activity we need to prepare well. These preliminaries include simple breathing and body relaxation exercises we can all do while in the comfort of a chair. The relaxation they produce alone will help us deal with the stresses and business of daily life.
4. What is Mindfulness? Perhaps the most important quality we need to develop is mindfulness because this is the power to hold an object in our mind without forgetting. Learn how we use this mental factor in meditation.
5. The Obstacles. Identify the main obstacles to meditation and mindfulness so that we can learn to overcome them. These include little aspiration and a distracted mind. Through effort
we can reduce and eventually illuminate these obstacles laying the foundation for faultless meditation.
6. The Objects of Meditation. There are many objects we can meditate on. We can choose those that are most relevant to our own circumstances so that our meditation functions to solve our particular daily problems. Receive an overview of the objects available.
7. Mindful Living. The power of meditation depends upon how we integrate our practice into daily life. Using the power of mindfulness we can really transform our life and bring benefit to others too.
Create Your Own Inner Peace
2 Feb – Why Meditation?
9 Feb – What is Meditation?
16 Feb – The Preparations
2 Mar – What is Mindfulness?
9 Mar – The Obstacles
16 Mar – The Objects of Meditation
23 Mar – Mindful Living
Be Positive Be Happy
13 Apr – What makes the Mind Positive?
20 Apr – Intro to Meditation & Mindfulness
27 Apr – Positve Aspirations
4 May – Rejoicing
11 May – Confidence to Change
18 May – Courage
25 May – No Class
Classes are free to Class Card Holders. See Membership Fees