Old School House, Chapel Street, Belper DE56 1AR
Thursdays 7.00 – 8.30 pm
Classes are suitable for both beginners and experienced meditators. Everyone is welcome. During the classes the teacher will explain how to meditate on various virtuous objects that will make the mind calm and peaceful; and how to use the insights gained to overcome our daily problems.
The class runs for an hour and a half. The teacher for this class is Gen Kelsang Chodor, the resident teacher at Heart Jewel Centre. Classes include 2 guided meditations, short talk and discussion.
The classes are self-contained so you can drop in any week. There is also no need to book.
Please note the centre is a registered charity and class fees cover only the running costs. Neither the teacher nor assistant receive any payment.
£6 per class (full-time students by donation). Or pay for each term in advance using credit card/Paypal account and save £1 on each class (i.e. £5 per class).
Details of next classes
Be Tour Own Doctor
1. Curing sickness. Due to the stresses of daily life we suffer many mental problems like anxiety, fear and dissatisfaction. We also suffer many physical problems too. To overcome these inner and outer problems we need to become our own doctor, and apply the medicine of compassion to our mind. These meditations have the power to solve all our daily problems and can be practised by everyone.
2. Love, Faith and Empathy. These are the causes of pure compassion. Learn how we can cultivate these qualities in and out of meditation and how they will naturally bring benefit to yourself and others.
3. Understanding Compassion. What is the nature and function of compassion? This understanding will help us develop our strong wish to become a compassionate person.
4. Compassion in Action. How to apply compassion in our close relationships. Get to know how others are suffering a life of problems and develop a wish to protect them. This practice will hold us back from retaliating when those who are suffering harm us.
5. Taking Away Our Own Suffering. Learn a special meditation to purify the inner causes of our own suffering, both now and in future. Motivated by compassion for ourself we imagine taking on our future suffering and using it to destroy the inner causes already in our mind.
6. For Family and Friends. Learn how to apply the meditation ‘Taking’ to others suffering from mental and physical problems.
6 Sept Inside Health (free public talk)
13 Sept Letting Go of Blame
20 Sep Letting Go of Worry
27 Sept Letting Go of Pain
18 Oct Letting Go of Frustration
25 Oct Letting Go of Regret
Be Your Own Doctor
8 Nov Curing Sickness
15 Nov Love, Faith and Empathy
22 Nov Understanding Compassion
29 Nov Compassion in Action
6 Dec Taking Away Our Own Suffering
13 Dec For Family and Friends
Pay for whole course and save money
Classes are free to Class Card Holders. See Membership Fees